Working with other people can be fraught with difficulties. Especially when you are a home business entrepreneur, the difficulties can be numerous because here the onus is entirely on you. You are shouldering every responsibility. At the same time, you need to ensure that you get a great job done. Everything depends on how efficiently you can manage your team.
Here are some points that you should keep firmly in mind.
- You should always bear in mind that your team is composed of humans. Even though you have never met them or even seen them, they are just as human as you are, and they have strengths and weaknesses just as you do. They have their likes and dislikes as well, and they may have strong opinions about things. Since they are not bound with any contract, they are free to refuse work. Keep all these things in mind and you should be able to work accordingly.
- When someone joins your team, you should always make sure to ask them what they would like to do, what their likes and dislikes are. When you do that, you are sure about what kind of work to give them. It is always best to work with people’s interests, because then a better quality of job is assured. If you impose work on someone—work that they don’t want to do—you might end up having to pay for inferior work, which you should avoid.
- Establish the importance of deadlines very clearly. In fact, when you start out with someone, give them work to do that have rigid deadlines and see how faithfully they can deliver according to it. Give them bigger and bigger jobs and see how they meet their deadlines. It is important to keep in constant touch with each other. 24 hours = 1 contact, is the Internet norm.
- You should always have backup for everyone. Emergencies can occur, and since these people are mostly working from home as well, the possibilities are more. You cannot do a back check in most cases. So, retain several people in your team on a freelance basis, so that you can ask someone else if your regular worker is incapable of working for you on a particular assignment.
- Always be ready with your feedback. People who are not working with you physically will want to know that you like their work. It is important for you to establish this fact. When a particular task is completed, you should tell them if they have done a good job and maybe send a little monetary bonus their way as well. This pays off richly when you find people prioritizing your work over others.
These are some of the things that can help you keep up with the people working with you. You need them to continue working well, and hence these things really matter. This is what will help your business to settle and then grow in the direction you want it to go.